Social Media Image Dimensions: A Sequel
(But not the type of sequel that is worse than the first one, one that is just as good or maybe even better… Like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King or, arguably, Toy Story 2)
While we have previously covered the correct image dimensions to make the most of your brand/business’ social media pages here, it’s hard to deny that your posts are equally if not of greater importance. Think of it this way: Your pages branding sucks the client in, and your posts keep them there.
The impact that social media images have for engagement such as likes and clicks is resounding. However, if your posts don’t use the correct size dimensions all is as good as lost.
The average attention span is decreasing by the minute and the same goes with the internet world. The average person isn’t going to waste what little attention span they do have on a stretched out or cut-off image. Wake up Carol, no one is going to like your 3pm Wine Wednesday post if the image is pixelated. After all, soccer mums, too, enjoy proper social media post size dimensions. 1) You’re not an aspiring Sommelier and 2) The kids are worried.
Do you want people to stop and engage with your post or just scroll on by?
Shared Images: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Appear in your feed at a maximum width of 470 pixels
- Appear on your page at a max width of 504 pixels
- Both scale to a max of 1:1
Shared Link: 1200 x 627 pixels
- Square photo: Minimum 154 x 154 pixels in feed and 116 x 116 on your page
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 470 x 246 pixels in feed and 484 x 252 on your page
Highlighted Image: 1200 x 717 pixels
- Appears on your page at 843 x 504 pixels
- Higher resolution photos at that scale will produce better quality
Event Image: 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Facebook scales this down to minimum dimensions: 470 x 174 pixels and it shows in feed at the same size.
Photo Thumbnails (how they appear on your page grid): 161 x 161 pixels
- Maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1
Photo Size: Recently increased to 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Still scales them down to 612 x 612 pixels
- Appear in feed 510 x 510 pixels
Posted Photo: 440 x 220 pixels
- The minimum to appear expanded 440 x 220 pixels
- Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels
- Appears in stream collapse at 506 x 253 pixels
- Max file size of 5 MB for photos and 3 MB for GIFS (PS if you pronounce it JIFS, you are the worst kind of person)
There you have it. Now, whether you are complaining about the government on your personal account, or pushing services on your business page, you are equipped with the size dimensions that make it possible to promote engagement and thus substantially increase the amount of people (AKA potential clients) that you are reaching.